Journal of Aziz Fatimah Medical and Dental College (JAFMDC)
Journal of Aziz Fatimah Medical and Dental College journal is biannual , double blinded peer medical journal . It provides platform for advance, basic and clinical medical research for all the fields of medical professionals and scholars. It provides cutting edge updates and developments in the medical arena and will help to synchronize the knowledge of medical community.
It publishes biannually as print version and Open Access online with minimum financial burden on researchers. Submissions and publications of scientific manuscripts in JAFMDC are totally Free of cost. All submitted articles are vetted by the double blind peer-review process by two expert reviewers in order to maintain the quality of the articles, public’s trust in our profession and the trust of our readership, authors/contributors, researchers, and reviewers. It follows guidelines of International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) and committee of publication ethics (COPE) for editiong and ethics.
Affiliation with HEC and PMDC recognition, indexing with various data bases including Pakmedinet will be first priorities of this journal.
The aim of the JAFMDC is to promote innovative research in academia and to provide platform to researchers with eminence contribution towards the scientific community.
- Publish original, peer-reviewed articles in English language with strong emphasis on quality and originality on a broad range of medical topics.
- Publish article with high ethical standards.
- Promote critical thinking, ensure academic integrity, and encourage medical post- graduate and undergraduate students to expand their writing skills.
- Promote innovative developments in the medical sciences to improve health care practices.
- Updates healthcare professionals, bio researchers and students about the recent developments and discoveries in health sciences.
- Provide physicians with continuing education in basic and clinical science to support informed clinical decisions.
- Synchronize the knowledge of physicians to remain informed in multiple areas of medical arena.
- Improve public health internationally by raising the quality of medical care, disease prevention, and research provided by an informed readership.
- Foster responsible and balanced debate on controversial issues that affect medicine and health care.
- Highlight common issues and trends in medicine and health care.
- Display social responsibility to improve wellbeing of individuals and integrity of science.
- Accomplish the highest level of ethical medical journalism.
- Achieve Timely, credible, and informative publications
Selection of editorial board:
JAFMDC will follow the recommendations of International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), COPE guidelines, PMDC and HEC policies in selection of editorial board, peer reviewer, authorship and all the steps till publication of articles.
- Editorial board is headed by medical person.
- Chief editor has editorship experience
- Highly qualified editorial members from various disciplines and capabilities have been selected by editor in chief.
- Editorial members have strong research background
- 25% of the editorial board members selected from outside the institutes
- To ensure smooth functioning of the journal, the Editors are responsible for conducting the Editorial Board meetings on regular basis
- The study has not been published (partly or as a whole) before or is not under consideration for publication elsewhere (except as an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis);
- Authorship will be according to the guidelines by ICMJE as required by PM&DC and HEC.
- Articles is double blind peer review by subject expertise.
- Articles with highest ethical standards with reverence to plagiarism will consider for publication.
- JAFMDC will accept manuscripts prepared in accordance with recommendations of ICMJE
- Publication miscomnduct will be dealt according to COPE guidelines
- The journal also encourages the submission of useful reports of negative results.
Any author can publish only one article in an issue as 1st author
Corresponding author is responsible for ensuring article publication has been approved by all co-authors.
After publication of the paper author dispute related issues will not be entertained
Any change in the authorship (such as addition or deletion of author(s) or change in the sequence of author list after submission of an article will not be entertained
- Undertaking and transfer of copyrights will be obtained from author to prevent the duplicate publication.
- Author index will be published and will be available on website.
- reviewrs list will be published and be available on website
- Website for JAFMDC with complete archives will be maintained.
Plagiarism and similarity index:
This journal strongly opposes the practice of duplicate publication or any type of plagiarism.
- This journal seeks to advance the state of medical art by publishing the highest quality scientific research and such quality cannot be achieved if plagiarism is abided. a Plagiarism policy of journal is as per HEC, PMDC, COPE and ICMJE guidelines. To check similarity index all articles must be processed through turnitin software as per HEC guidelines. Turnitin is best anti-plagiarism application serving to promote academic reputation through original writing.
- As per ICJME Guidelines If the report has similarity index <=19%, then benefit of doubt may be given to the author but, in case, any single source has similarity index >=5% without citation then it needs to be revised and will be sent back to the author for revision to bring similarity index down to permissible limit.
- After revision, it will again be processed through the same software for checking its originality. After satisfactory report ,it will be sent to reviewers for peer review
- Articles with similarity index within more than 19% will not be published
- The similarities in the document may contain matches with author's previous work; it may be ignored if it is the same work.
Credit for publication of research papers as per PMDC criteria
- 10/10 (full Credit) may be given 1st six authors
- Latter to editor, case report, review articles letter of acceptance have no credits
ICMJE Recommendations for Authorship & Acknowledgement
The ICMJE recommends that authorship should be based on the following 4 criteria:
- Substantial contributions to the concept,design of the work; acquisition, analysis and interpretation of data for the work.
- Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content.
- Final approval of the version to be published.
- Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. All those designated as authors should meet all four criteria for authorship.
Contributors who do not meet all the above mentioned four criteria for authorship, but helped in the study, may be listed in the acknowledgement section.
Detailed contribution made by each author will be required at the time of submission of the manuscript.
Peer reviewer: (COPE guidelines/ ICMJE).
Peer reviewers play a pivotal and critical part in the review process and ensuring the integrity of the scholarly record. Peer reviewer should be aware of ethical obligations recommended by COPE and review article with responsibility and unbiased. If reviewer has conflict of interest should report to editor to prevent bias.
Appropriate expert reviewers from various disciplines will be selected by editorial board for unbiased, independent, and critical assessment of articles to improve the quality of manuscript. Reviewers with various specialties can be modified according to their responses.
Submitted manuscripts will initially undergo internal peer review. A manuscript with plagiarism and poor quality will be rejected in house and appropriate articles will be sent for double-blind external peer reviews by two subject experts. Any publication misconduct will be dealt according to COPE's guidelines.
Original articles authored by the editorial board are also externally peer reviewed.
Editorials authored by the editor-in-chief will not be subjected to an external peer review.
Conflict of interest:
All participants including author, peer reviewer and editorial board must disclose conflict of interest if any. Reviewers and editorial board must rescue themselves from reviewing and taking final decisions about specific manuscript, if they have conflict of interest. (ICMJE guidelines)
Prior to research, informed consent should be taken from each participant by researcher and information about the patients should be kept confidential and not be published. (ICMJE guideline)
All the manuscripts submitted to JAFMDC will be kept confidential as they are author’s private, confidential property. Peer Reviewers also must maintain confidentiality of reviewed manuscripts. This applies both during and after the publication process. Journal keeps record of published article for at least three years and rejected articles are deleted from backup (ICMJE criteria).
Editors will ensure timely processing of manuscripts with the resources available to them.
Journal will reserve copy right. All the authors will have to transfer all copyright ownership of the manuscript to the JAFMDC. Authors will require signing the copyright policy statement at the time of submission. In case the manuscript is rejected, the copyright transfers back to the authors.
In case of accepted and published manuscript, the journal will reserve the copy rights and such manuscripts can only be re-produced after permission from the editorial board.
Ethical Approval of Research:
Every original article submitted to JAFMDC should have the ethical approval by the ethical review board of the institution.
All case reports require an approval from the head of the department. A statement should be included showing informed consent prior publication of a case report.
Editorial decisions will be based on the relevance of a manuscript to the journal and on the manuscript’s originality, quality, and contribution to evidence about important question.
Corresponding author of articles will have a responsibility to respond to substantial criticisms of their work using those same mechanisms and will be asked by editors to respond. Authors of correspondence will be asked to declare any competing or conflicting interest.
Publication Schedule and number of article:
Initially two issues/ year will be published and after recognition with PMDC and HEC the frequency of publication will be increased. Journal will be publish on regular basis and will try to improve standard in term of quality and material. Minimum 5 original articles per issue will be published as per PMDC Guidelines for Recognition of Publications and journals.2018. We also encouraged publishing case report, systemic review or short communication/ commentaries and letter to editor.
Targeted audience (who will be able to publish article)
- Medical and Dental Post Graduate Students
- Researchers of medical field
- Faculty of basic medical sciences
- Faculty of clinical sciences
- Consultant Physicians
- Resident Medical Officers
- General Medical and dental Practitioners
- Medical and Dental Undergraduate Students
- Health care administrators
- Allied health care professionals
- Articles on extensive range of basic and clinical medical sciences.
- Updates / Advances in the disciplines of dental field.
- Continuing education in basic and clinical sciences.
- Emerging developments in medical arena
- Prevalent diseases in our country and their prevention.
- Biomedical ethics.
- Current trends in Medical Education
- Allied Health related Scientific Research Work
Types of manuscript
- Editorial (Invited)
- Original Article
- Review Article
- Short Communication/ Commentary
- Opinions/ Perspectives
- Case report
- Letter to editor
- Others (students corner)
. Website/ Online Publication
- This journal has an active website. http://journal.afmdc.edu.pk
- Open journal system (OJS): Submission, review and all processing of the articles will be through OJS system. OJS is a journal management and publishing system that assists with every stage of the refereed publishing process, from submissions through to online publication and indexing.
- Online availability of the updated issues of journal will be assured.
- The citation record of the journal will be updated regularly on the website.
- Archives of previous ten years published issues of the journal will be available on the journal website.
- Ethical Guidelines for Journals Ethical Guidelines For the Editors:
- How to Interpret Originality Report (Guidelines):
- Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly work in Medical Journals.
- COPE Ethical Guidelines for Peer Reviewers:
- PM&DC Guidelines for Recognition of Publications and journals. 2018